AAC Awareness Week: Share a Poem and a Board
By Samuel Sennott
Participate in AAC Awareness Week! https://www.ussaac.org/AACAWARENESSWEEK.htm
This week is AAC Awareness week and I want to propose a collaborative project. Here’s how it goes:
Share a Poem and a Board
A One to One Thousand Pre-Project for Books Please
Here’s What You Can Do: Share a digitized poem and create a communication board to go with it. The goal is to provide some accessible poetry and a way to talk about it!
- Find a Poem that has an educational use license. Project Guttenburg and Google Books are two good places to start. OR Write your own poem.
- Find a good picture or pictures to illustrate the poem. A great educational use site is the now epicwww.flickr.com/creativecommons.
- Put them together in PowerPoint, Intellitools Classroom Suite, Clicker 5, Keynote, or what ever format you wish.
- Create a communication board that goes along with the poem. (Feel free) Make a PDF of the board. Message me if you need help.
- Email the digitized poem and board email@example.com
- A wiki will go up with all of the contributions.
- So if you are willing to contribute or want your students to contribute, the goal is to provide some accessible poetry and a way to talk about it! Feel free to send one or many. Message to confirm participation or just do it. Your choice. Enclosed is an example I created in less than one hour. Remember don’t be perfectionistic. Get it to the learners! Please: Remember to site your sources. Here are some examples:
- insert the Flickr url in the PowerPoint notes or at the end of the Intellipics show.
- Site where the poem came from through a url link somewhere.
- Only send the pdf’s of the boards.
I think we can do something cool this week! Remember if each person spends one hour, things multiply rapidly!
Good Luck and Spread the Word!